Five pointers for motivating employees
I discovered motivation while earning my masters in education. After studying about motivation in learning, I studied motivation in the workplace. One model I enjoyed learning about was The Quick Motivation Method, created by Thomas L. Quick in his book of the same name. In this model the boss decides what the positive choice is in a particular situation, and then the boss motivates the employee to view that same choice as positive to the employee as well.
The boss does this by increasing the motivational value of that particular choice.
Quick has five pointers for increasing the motivational value of a choice:
- People have reasons for what they do.
- Whatever people choose to do, they do it to gain something they believe is good for them. The achievement must be sufficiently important for them to choose it.
- The person has to perceive he or she can attain the goal.
- The conditions under which the job (the activity) is done (the situation) can affect its value to the doer or his expectation of success.
- The manager can increase the employee’s motivation by increasing the value of the goal to the employee, increasing the employee’s expectation of reaching it, and enhancing the situation surrounding the performance.
The lesson I learned from Quick and other writers and researchers on motivation, whether it be on the job setting, in the class room or on the playing field are the three most important factors of motivation:
- the person must have an important goal or strongly felt desire,
- the person must feel that they have the power to achieve their goal or acquire that which they desire, and
- the person’s environment plays a large rule in whether they are successful.
I used this information to create the model for self motivation. Rather than having someone else motivate you, you use the model to motivate yourself. You have the most knowledge as to what is most important for you. You have the most impact over how confident you are in your abilities, and have the power to increase your abilities. You have the strongest impact on your environment.
The model for self motivation is the way to achieve your goals and make your dreams come true. Learning how to apply the model for self motivation in your life will guarantee you will be successful.