All of us have dreams, some change we can make in our lives that would make our lives so much better. But so many of us are not making our dreams come true. The reason we are unable to make them come true is that we are not motivated.
Unless we are motivated, our dreams will not come true.
Here are the three most powerful motivation robbers:
1. I am not clear on exactly what I want.
2. If I am clear on what I want, I just don’t know what I need to do to get it.
3. If I am clear on what I want, and I do know what I need to do to get it, I just don’t believe I am capable of doing it.
It may sound pretty hopeless, but in fact there are some simple steps we can take to overcome each of these robbers.
1. I am not clear on exactly what I want. The solution to this is pretty obvious, get clear. But sometimes it’s harder than it sounds. So how do we get clear? One way is to figure out the why, that is, why we want something. The clearer we are as to why we want something, the clearer we will be as to exactly what it is. And then write it down. Nothing gives us more clarity than forcing ourselves to write it down.
2. If I am clear on what I want, I just don’t know what I need to do to get it. The solution to this is to make a plan. Everyone has heard the cliché, fail to plan and you plan to fail. But how does something become a cliché? By being universally true. So get out a piece of paper or your journal, or open up a Word document and get started. The time you spend up front figuring out how to achieve something you desire is time well spent. It could save you lots of time you would otherwise waste in in spinning your wheels or, even worse, going down the wrong path.
3. If I am clear on what I want, and I do know what I need to do to get it, I just don’t believe I am capable of doing it. How confident we are in our ability to do something plays a huge role in whether we are motivated to actually try to accomplish it. Few people will put the effort into trying to do something that they don’t think they can do.
To overcome this lack of confidence, take an honest inventory of yourself. Are there skills you are lacking that create the doubt? Then find out how you can acquire the skills. Are there contacts you need to pave the way for your success? Figure out where you can make those contacts. Once you are clear on what it is that makes you lack confidence, you can figure out how to take care of those things.
It may take some work, but you can stop those motivation robbers and make your dreams come true.